Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Plans for the Summer of 2010





Overseas Mission Information


In April of this year, I felt God directing me to give Him the summer for missions and ministry work and to not take any fulltime internships at labs or research facilities, trusting Him instead for finances. This has been a stretch for me as I'm used to being in control of my monetary needs, but nevertheless, God's plan is ultimately going to be way better than mine.

After fasting, praying, and receiving prayer from others, I felt God leading me to put my sights on Libya in Northern Africa. Libya is a closed Muslim country, 2.5% of the population is Christian and these are simply foreigners working in the country. Actually, 89% of the total population in Libya is unreached with the Gospel and it contains 28 unreached people groups. If God provides a way into this country, I will be staying with a Muslim family (I have connections with families there through my Libyan friends studying here in the US), learning about their culture, and sharing the Gospel as God provides opportunities. Getting into this country is going to take much faith and prayer, but I trust and believe that God is jealous for the hearts of men in Libya and that He is preparing awesome things there. 

Me and my brother Tufeg from Libya!




In the Mozambique bush with children, of whom most had never seen a foreigner before! 


    If my visa application is rejected by the Libyan government or God has other things planned and I can't live in the country this summer, I am communicating with some missionary friends about doing mission work in Yei, located Southern Sudan. Specifically, I would be working at an orphanage of about 100 children, mentoring and being a fatherly figure to the young men there (right now there is a lack of godly men to help mentor the young boys there).

    There are many opportunities for me to serve overseas, thanks to my connections with international students here in Corvallis as well as with the many friends I made in Mozambique in 2008. Right now, I'm focusing on saving the money to pay for visa applications and plane tickets (Most visas are around 100-150 dollars and tickets are generally 2,000 dollars at the cheapest). I trust that God is going to provide for me to go through the right doors at the right time. While I don't know how it will all "pan out" this summer, I do know that God is very good and that He has called me to share His love and power to the nations. For my part, I'm going to keep running hard after Him and pursuing His heart with all my might.

    I really desire and appreciate your prayers and support. Specific prayer needs include favor with the Libyan and Sudanese government, for God to open the correct doors and close the wrong ones, and for communication with the mission field organizations to go smoothly. Also, please pray for even more opportunities to share the Gospel with international students in Corvallis as I continue to be a part of the international ministry here. Any money the Lord puts on your heart to give me for His kingdom will help tremendously. Because living expenses in Africa are very low, the visas and plane tickets are the things that will be the most hindering to me financially. You are welcome to send a tax deductable donation to Celebration Church, 2700 SW 3rd Street, Corvallis, OR, 97333. Checks can be made out to Celebration Church with "Corey Missions" in the memo. The leadership at my church will then use the money at the appropriate time to purchase visa's and plane tickets.

    Thank you so much for all the prayers and support each one of you has given me throughout my life. I am really excited for the place God has me in and hope to keep you guys updated. A great way to contact me is either by email or facebook at wrighcor@onid.orst.edu. May God, who is always good, bless you abundantly in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment